In recent years, the debate over using solar panels has become increasingly present in our lives.
In recent years, the debate over using solar panels has become increasingly present in our lives. More and more, we have people asking; ‘are solar panels worth it?’, ‘are solar panels better and more cost-effective?’, ‘How do solar panels work?’, the list goes on. They are all valid and important questions that require expert answers.
As a homeowner, you’re probably looking for ways to save money and reduce energy costs. The good news is; not only does solar energy reduce our carbon footprint, but it has the power to save us money in the long term.
A solar panel is an array of solar cells that absorb energy from sunlight to generate electricity. Solar panels can be installed in homes to provide lighting and power to appliances and electrical devices and generate hot water.
However, you should consider a few things before installing solar panels, such as cost, location and maintenance. Before you invest, it is important to consider the pros and cons, which is where we can help…
Key advantages of solar panels include:
1) Solar panels help to provide a clean energy source where power is generated without pollutants being released into the environment. Furthermore, because solar power relies on sunlight to generate electricity, this can help reduce your carbon footprint and dependence on fossil fuels, which means you’re doing your bit to combat global warming!
2) One of the main advantages of installing solar panels in your home is to help reduce your electricity bill. By utilising solar energy, you will be able to reduce your outgoings by becoming more self-sufficient. If you install batteries with your solar panels, you can store any excess electricity for use later. This means you may even be able to go ‘off-grid’ and be completely un-reliant on energy providers.
3) Solar panels require low maintenance, and depending on the type of solar panel you have installed, they can last up to 25 years. However, it is important to remember they should be cleaned and inspected periodically to ensure they're working efficiently.
Potential downsides you may want to consider in your decision include:
1) You are probably wondering how much solar panels cost. Depending on the system you opt for and the size of your system, there can be a significant outlay initially (the Energy Savings Trust estimates the average solar PV system can set you back around £5500), but in general, the costs for solar panels have decreased in recent years, making it a lot more affordable than they once were.
You may also want to consider solar batteries as part of your solar PV system, which can add up to £4000 in installation costs. Typically, solar batteries have just a 5 to 15-year lifecycle, so they will likely need replacing long before your solar panels do, which is something to be aware of when budgeting.
Although this sounds expensive, long term, the cost of your average solar PV system is generally far outweighed by how much you save on your bills by generating your own electricity. You could save up to £500 a year!
2) It is important to understand that solar panels may not be suitable for some homes due to factors such as the location and the angle of your roof. Although solar panels do not require direct sunlight to function effectively, they lose efficiency if they are not fully exposed to sunlight. This means that your roof should be in good condition and unshaded for your solar panels to produce the best results.
3) Although solar panels can function effectively and last up to 25 years, their performance can degrade over time. For this reason, you must ensure they are maintained to prolong their life.
Whether solar panels are worth the investment depends on your home and circumstances, but we have never encountered a homeowner who regretted their solar panels! Now that you are fully informed, we recommend you consult a professional installer such as Fusion Electrics. We will help you to determine the feasibility of installing solar panels and give you a detailed estimate for material and installation costs, plus potential long-term energy savings.
Here at Fusion, we are happy to answer any questions or concerns you have about solar-generated energy. Simply contact us for your free solar panel consultation today!